02 03 Ann Mortimer's Painting Blog: Getting into the mood for Irises... 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Getting into the mood for Irises...

34
Was working on two iris paintings yesterday, one was a sketch to get back into the mood for irises and to remind myself of their quirky shapes and forms.  I have a sizeable collection of photos that I've taken in the garden over the years.  Some years have been better than others and our garden didn't yield this year.

I use the Cayeux irises catalogues for invaluable reference (www.iris-cayeux.com) for which I have permission.

So here is yesterday's work...


This one is called Aurelie.





There's a way to go on this one of the apricot coloured irises.  I painted some of this at a demo I did for Keyworth art club last week.  The jury is still out on the composition.  I have made the right hand iris very blurred using wet in wet washes in an attempt to stop it competing with the left hand dominant flower.

Today I will work on the biggest foreground flower to make it stand out and see where that will take us.



35 36 37 38